We have partnered with World Nomads
World Nomads are one of the worlds most reputable travel insurance providers offering comprehensive packages, competitive pricing and above average service. You can buy, extend and claim online, even after you’ve left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from over 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travelers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
Simple and flexible travel insurance you can buy online or whilst travelling plus you can claim from anywhere in the world
7 things you should know about travel insurance from WorldNomads.com
- Trusted reliable underwriters. WorldNomads.com is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Value for money with the cover you need. WorldNomads.com provides cover for what’s important for travellers from over 150 countries. By focussing on what you need and leaving out what you don’t, World Nomads prices are some of the most competitive online.
- Flexibility when you need it most. Had a change of plans? You can extend your policy or claim online while you are still away. You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you’re already travelling.
- Cover for a range of adventure activities. From skiing & snowboarding to other adventure sports WorldNomads.com covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
- World Nomads keeps you travelling safely. All WorldNomads.com members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the World Nomads Travel Safety Hub.
- More than just great value travel insurance. All WorldNomads.com members can learn the local lingo through a series of iPod & iPhone Language Guides and can stay in touch with family and friends with an online travel journal.
- Commitment to exceptional customer service. We want to make sure you get the most from WorldNomads.com. You can find out more about why travel insurance is important for your trip. If you have any questions about your travel insurance or travel safety in general.
The Importance of Travel Insurance
Travelers often overlook taking out some kind of travel insurance, but for few pounds per trip, is it really worth taking the risk!. Travel insurance can cover a wide range of hazards and risks that could happen to you before or during your holiday – which could have a severe financial impact.
Many people think that travel insurance just covers your medical bills, in fact it can cover a whole host of issues including loss and theft of your possessions, baggage, public liability, accidental damage, travel money and more. Some policies also cover the cost if something happens to your flight, such as the plane company going bust or you being severely delayed.
For pet owners, there are even some travel insurance policies that typically will cover the cost of cancelling your holiday if your pet becomes ill before you travel.
Simply think about a holiday and would could cause it to be affected and in most cases, the risk may typically be covered by a travel insurance policy (subject to the provider’s own policy terms and conditions etc).
What about my EHIC card?
Every EU citizen is entitled to free EHIC card. This card entitles you to free or reduced cost state-provided medical care in European Economic Area (EEA) countries, including Switzerland.
What you should bear in mind, however, is that the card only entitles you to the equivalent state healthcare available that a national of that country would get. So this means that you may be still liable for certain other costs such as prescriptions and dressings etc.
Not only that, but you may find that the standard of the hospitals in other EEA member states are not to the same standard as those of the NHS. So, yes, having an EHIC card is certainly worthwhile but is not a substitute for travel insurance.
What an EHIC card also does not cover is your repatriation – ie. getting you home after you have been ill or suffered an injury. For example, say you broke your leg whilst skiing.
How will you be able to travel home in the plane seat you had booked with a leg in plaster? You will need to make different arrangements, potentially costing you quite a bit more. In the worst case scenario, if you have a really serious illness such as a heart attack or stroke, once you are well enough to travel or be transferred to a UK hospital, you may need to pay to have nursing staff travel with you.
You will not be able to travel by scheduled airline services either. Again the cost of this could really mount up and will not be covered by your EHIC card.
If you die abroad, your loved ones will have to find an average cost of £17,000 just to bring your body back, too.
As you can see, travel insurance is really worth having. So what do you need to know when choosing your cover?
Considerations when choosing your travel insurance
When choosing your travel insurance, remember that the policies will vary depending on whom you buy it from as well as the level of cover offered.
Typically, policies come in a range of options and levels such as basic through to premier cover, this means that you can choose a policy that most suits your budget and your requirements.
If you are looking for cheap travel insurance in Spain, then do note that the perception of ‘cheap’ is based what you are expecting from your policy and the cover provided. So, what your friend thinks as cheap travel cover may not be the cheapest or most appropriate solution for you.
When comparing costs, weigh up the policies on a like and like basis so you can choose the most cost-effective solution for you.
Don’t forget to choose elements of cover that are the most suitable for you. For example, if you are taking loads of gadgets on holiday with you such as your iPad, smart phone etc, you may wish to look out for a policy that offers specific over for these.
Similarly, if you are taking part in sporting activities, do check that the particular activity you want to do is covered by your chosen policy. You may find that you need to take out extra cover to protect you if you’re going to be doing what is considered a dangerous or unusual sport.
This should typically not cost you a lot extra in the grand scheme of things, but will give you valuable protection should something go wrong and you need assistance.
Hopefully this short guide has highlighted the importance of having adequate cover for your Spanish holiday.
Book Travel Insurance in Advance
Word nomads is another popular company specialising in travel insurance. They offer some very good plans to suit just about every kind of trip. If you are looking for the extra cover for luggage and cancellations then it would be well worth getting an instant quote off their website.
Essential travel has many years of experience providing a whole host of travel essentials such as car hire excess insurance, airport parking, airport lounges, breakdown cover and a range of travel insurance packages starting from £7 a trip.
Our second go to company when we require car hire excess cover. Annual policies are available from just £40, amazing when you think what the care hire companies are looking to charge to eliminate the excess charge completely, which can amount to over £120 per car rental.